Monday, December 12, 2011

Need Help

I will be traveling across the US with my husband this coming summer. He’s a long haul truck driver and me and my son plan to join him for a few weeks every now and then. I have no clue where well end up stopping in your state so I was hoping you could all help me by telling me cool kid friendly places to see. I know there will be times where we’ll be waiting a day or so to pick up or drop off and I’d love to use that free time to explore areas. I’m the kind of person who likes to plan as much as possible. So any and all recommendations of places to stop and see would be greatly appreciated



Thanks so much for all your help



Lisa



Need Help


If you’re in Omaha you will enjoy the Zoo located just off I-80 near 13th street. This is one of the best things Omaha has to offer for sites to see. It can talk all day to visit.





There is also a SAC Air Force Museum west of Omaha near Ashland.





Out in the middle of the state near Kearney – Minden Ne has a Pioneer Village that is great. Some of it is outdoors and some inside so a rainy day or cold snowy one this will workout ok



Need Help


Several places in central and western part of the state off the interstate. In Paxton is Ollie%26#39;s Big Game Restaurant has a lot of stuffed trophy animals from around the world plus many pictures of some well known people even have some stuffed jackalopes.



The sandhills has the Scotts Bluff Monument, Chimney Rock, Ft Robinson, Toadstool State Park. Another couple of things around the Kearney-Grand Island area are the Archway museum that crosses the interstate tells the history of the area and the Oregon Trail that the highway parallels. Also the Sturh Museum in Grand Island has some hands on things for kids to try out plus many Native American artifacts.



For some relaxation and activities Mahonney State Park is just before the SAC Museum the other person mentioned. They have horseback riding a water park with slides many hiking trails a lookout tower that overlooks the Platte River valley a lodge with rooms and a restaurant plus cabins for rent.






You might enjoy Fort Robinson, up in the NW part of Neb. near Chadron/Crawford



I enjoy visiting Chimney Rock near Bayard in Western Neb %26amp; I think a young person would enjoy it.



If you Google wagon train, there are some companies out in Western Neb that do 24-hour wagon train rides and longer ones.





A bit strange, but I think a kid would enjoy the Arch that goes over Interstate-80 at Kearney in mid Neb. I enjoyed it.



You can always stop at the nice giant Cabelas store in Sydney - good shopping of outdoorsy clothes, hunting, camping supplies and lots of preserved animals%26amp; live fish; unless of course you%26#39;re a vegan and not into that!! And I second the stop at Olie%26#39;s in Paxton - nothing fancy, but an interesting place of taxidermied animals from the world over.





They have can-can dancing girls at the Front Street Restaurant/Bar in Ogallala, but don%26#39;t know the schedule. That%26#39;s on I-80 in SW Neb. Husband would probably like that the best, lol! Nebraska really has a lot of little attractions-nothing earth-shattering or mind-blowing but one learns to appreciate the little things when you live out here. Oh, forgot Ash Hollow State Park not too far off the beaten path northwest of Ogallala. That%26#39;s interesting.

No comments:

Post a Comment