Monday, December 12, 2011

Safe Places to LIVE in Omaha

My family is looking at buying a home in Omaha. It has been suggested by many to avoid anything north of the radial. The thing is, we don%26#39;t desire to be in western suburbia either. We love the old homes midtown and we love being near the arts, music, downtown area and our church. There%26#39;s a great neighborhood we found about 5 blocks north of the radial (48th, 49th st area). Beautiful. Well kept. We%26#39;re just a young family so the price range is perfect. I grew up in NYC %26amp; loved it. I guess I%26#39;m not sure if some things were just a little exaggerated about Omaha. Then again, I don%26#39;t want to put my family in jeopardy. Any thoughts?



Safe Places to LIVE in Omaha


Having just moved here about 6 months ago...I can tell you there is a perception that most of the crime in Omaha happens east of 72nd street, and it appears to me to be accurate. That being said, I know many folks that live in midtown and they love it. I am not sure what you mean by the ';radial.'; When we were looking for houses here, we liked the same areas (older homes, charming neighborhoods, no urban sprawl) but ultimately decided on the district 66 area, because of the westside school district. My spouse has since been employed by the Omaha Public School district and we would both strongly encourage you to put your children in a private school or try to transfer out of the OPS system. Other than that, Omaha is a pretty nice place, low cost of living, nice people, and lively art and music scene. Good luck!



Safe Places to LIVE in Omaha


You don%26#39;t want to live in North Omaha (I used to live in Boston in some not-so-nice areas and I wouldn%26#39;t live in N. O.). Even though you don%26#39;t want to live out West, you might check out Millard. It%26#39;s really not that long of a drive downtown. I suppose in the long run I don%26#39;t consider downtown Omaha to be a draw at all. I don%26#39;t care for the Old Market (it%26#39;s WAY too overhyped, mostly by people who have never been anywhere but Nebraska), and there doesn%26#39;t seem to be anything else to do downtown.




I believe the radial being spoken of is the Northwest Radial Highway. And, yes, there are some of those neighborhoods in the area north of downtown I would not consider safe. However, there are a lot of nice and safe midtown neighborhoods east of 72 Street, and also in the general area of 90th and Center that have lovely homes, large lots and a lot of character.





I really don’t know what piercec2000 was talking about as far as nothing to do downtown, or nearby.



A quick list:



The Children’s Museum



Joselyn Art Museum



Durham Western Heritage Museum



Henry Doorly Zoo



The Qwest Center (basketball, hockey, concerts, exhibitions, etc.)



The Rose (live children’s entertainment)



The Orpheum Theater (Broadway type shows, comedians, ballet, concerts)



The Holland Performing Arts Center (symphony, pops, singers… all kinds of musical arts and one of the best theaters, acoustically, in the country.



The Blue Barn Theater



Lauritzen Gardens Botanical Center



Rosenblatt Baseball Stadium



Free outdoor summer concerts (various locations)



Gene Leahy Mall/Heartland of America Park (downtown areas with green space and trails)



Farmers Market (summer)



Art Galleries (Bemis Center, Artists Coop Gallery, etc.



Old Market - maybe not a favorite of our previous poster, but it does have a lot of shops, restaurants, and it’s own charm. All the buildings, streets, sidewalks, etc. are original and old.




JerzRunner, you may have already moved to Omaha, but in the event someone else is picking up on this thread for info, the last post by dekes was right, great things happening.





I have lived and worked in SEVERAL parts of Omaha. I currently reside in the Dundee/Elmwood area, at about 55th and Leavenworth. My favorite place by far. Wonderful neighbors, great culture and attitude. I feel the population in this area is a bit more openminded. This is a very historic, beautiful area. Many homes just south of here as well are a good value and a little less ';suburban'; than West O. There are a few pockets of Omaha I%26#39;ve discovered in my life here in Omaha I%26#39;ll share:



South Omaha: some areas are a little rough- but on about 38th Street just south of %26#39;Q%26#39;, there is a quiet, friendly neighborhood.





Midtown- almost all the neighborhoods around Happy Hollow Blvd., Underwood, and north to NW Radial Hwy are GORGEOUS- large, beautiful houses, cute little Tudor homes up and down 52nd St. from Dodge to NW Radial (one of my favorite drives).





Also, there are some smaller, but nice homes at about 45th and Pacific/Woolworth. Many of these are great to start with as they are a little lower cost, but are still charming homes.





FYI- if you are moving and ok with living in Iowa, there are many new homes going up in the Council Bluffs area, as well as some existing homes that are a better value for the price, and the major bonus of living in Iowa is that taxes on automobilies, and homes are MUCH cheaper. NE auto tax on $22,000 car approx. $1300, In IA it is less than $100. Council Bluffs is closer to downtown Omaha than Millard or West O, and about the same distance to midtown. Plus you still have all the conveniences that are right there in Council Bluffs.





Anyway, I%26#39;m done, just thought I%26#39;d share a little for those interested. ~Jairren




I feel the population in this area is a bit more openminded.





Jairren,





Open minded about what ? Compared to what other neighborhoods?

No comments:

Post a Comment