Saturday, March 27, 2010

Sandhill Crane Viewing

I am a nature photographer. I am looking for out of the way viewing locations for photographing the spring sandhill crane migration in Nebraska.





I understand Rowe Sanctuary is one of the best places to view cranes roosting on the river in the mornings and afternoons. Other than Rowe, can anyone suggest other prime viewing places/blinds. I know the back roads between Grand Island and Kearney are good for viewing cranes in the fields during the day.





Are there private land owners who cater to crane watchers/photographers along the Platte? Any suggestions?





Sandhill Crane Viewing


A web site you might consult for more ideas of places to photograph cranes is:nebraskatravels.com/sandhill-crane-migration.



You could stop and ask a private land owner if they would be willing to let you enter their land and take pictures. I think some would if you ask first,maybe send them a gift later for their hospitabilty.



Sandhill Crane Viewing


Do you know ';proper'; protocol for requesting permission to enter private property. Is it appropriate to just walk up, knock on their door and ask. I think if i were in their shoes that would make me uncomfortable




Yes, you could just stop at a landowner%26#39;s home, introduce yourself, tell them your purpose, and ask permission to walk on their property to take your pictures. If they say no, thank them and go try another owner.




I too am a nature photagrapher and budding birder....any suggestions on lodging in the area?? Have you heard of any local B%26amp;Bs that cater to birders during the Crane Migration??




I don%26#39;t know of any B%26amp;Bs but I have not looked. I do know that the hotels book up pretty quickly during the spring migration. This year (as well as last year) I stayed at Country Inns and Suites in Kearney. It is right off I-80 with lots of restaurants in the vicinity. As I recall, it is about a 20 minute drive to Rowe Sanctuary.





If you%26#39;re interested, here are two galleries of mine from 2007 and 2008 at Rowe:





www.pbase.com/robt61x49/sandhill_cranes




Any luck on unique places to stay or best viewing locations Thurs. March 26-28, 2009?




I have blind reservations at Rowe Sanctuary, as I did last year. I plan to spend some time in between sessions scoping out other areas.




Last Friday and Saturday a juvenile whooping crane was spotted near the Platte River Whooping Crane Trust (exit 305) on I-80. Normally, the whooping cranes don%26#39;t migrate through NE until the first 2 weeks of April, following the sandhill cranes north.



On Sunday, an albino sandhill crane, one of 4 known albinos,in a population of 600,000 was seen.



South of exit 312 on I-80 there are roadside crane viewing sites.




I have gone up three different times and have been to both Rowe Sanctuary %26amp; Crane Meadows (reopening Monday as Wings Over the Platte). The photo oportunitues were far better at Rowe, but it still depends a bit on your luck in which blind you are assigned.





http://www.mightymac.org/neb3.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment