Thursday, April 8, 2010

Favorite restaurants near the Embassy Suites??

I%26#39;m going to be in Lincoln on family business this July with my mother and world traveler aunt. We%26#39;ll be staying at the Embassy Suites and I%26#39;d love to hear of some great restaurants nearby. We especially like anything Asian/Indian/Interesting, but will be there for 3 days and would love to visit any Cornhusker classic places in the area as well. Our preference would be restaurants within walking distance of the hotel, but for something special we%26#39;d certainly be willing to drive.





Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.



Favorite restaurants near the Embassy Suites??


An excellent Indian restaurant, just west several blocks, is the Oven. If you need specific directions, just ask. Another great place to eat south of Embassy is The Green Gateau. It serves meals, but looks like an English tea room, great food. Billy%26#39;s is a small restaurant in a remodeled home, but you would probably want to drive there, wouldn%26#39;t want to walk in that area when it is dark, but fantastic food. Avoid Lazlo%26#39;s, bragged up by many people, but overpriced bar food. Another restaurant you would need to drive to is Wilderness Ridge Lodge. This is an upscale housing development with a lodge to resemble a mt. lodge. It is set on a golf course and open to the public. It is about 1/2mile east and 6 miles south of the Embassy. Feel free to ask more questions.



Favorite restaurants near the Embassy Suites??


I would concur on The Oven. Very good and very nice atmosphere. I would disagree with tourist2 on Lazlo%26#39;s though. In addition to good food, they make their own beer. I%26#39;ve never been disappointed with their food or beer. It is only about three blocks from Embassy. If you%26#39;re looking for a VERY expensive meal, then go to Wilderness Ridge. If driving is an option, then head to 70th %26amp; Pioneers to a place called Venue. Very upscale atmosphere with great food and a little less costly than Wilderness Ridge. Misty%26#39;s is right across the street from Embassy and they are known for their steaks. It is a Husker classic. To each their own.




We forgot to mention Steak House which is known for their steaks, you get to pick your own from a clear front refrigerator case. Also, they have other excellent meals. A small Lincoln based chain is Runza. Runzas are a ground meat, cabbage combination in a stuffed baked sandwich. They look like a stuffed Hoagie bun, only you can%26#39;t see the inside until you break them open or start to eat. They come in a variety of combinations and you can%26#39;t really taste the cabbage. We stand by our assessment of Lazlo%26#39;s, an EXPENSIVE BAR, many here think that way, not just us.




This is kind of like going to a dueling piano bar except it%26#39;s dueling recommendations. In addition to Runza, there is Valentino%26#39;s Pizza, which is also a Nebraska original. Tourist2, I%26#39;m curious as to why you think Lazlo%26#39;s is expensive bar food, yet you don%26#39;t mention that The Lodge at Wilderness Ridge can easily amount to over $100 for two people. Just so everyone knows, I have no vested interest in any of these places I recommend. I%26#39;m a fan of Lazlo%26#39;s and their sister restaurant Fireworks. I like The Oven. I like Valentino%26#39;s pizza. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes.




To add to this list...Within walking distance of Embassy Suites is also Spaghetti Works. This actually started in Omaha. Pretty good, but I%26#39;d pick Val%26#39;s (Valentino%26#39;s) if deciding between Italian cuisine.





Even though I am in Omaha now, I was raised in Lincoln until 21. Moved around a bit in the midwest (Iowa and KC) until age 35 and now back in NE. In all our visits back to Lincoln we ALWAYS had to stop at Runza (more fast foody/lunch type - but MUCH better than typical fast food places - oh and btw, I myself don%26#39;t care for the actual ';runza';, but their burgers are wonderful). And we ALWAYS stopped at Valentino%26#39;s. In fact, many times for Christmas dinner, we would bring up BBQ from KC, and then we%26#39;d also have Val%26#39;s pizza for us! When we lived in KC, we would drive an hour to Topeka, KS to the nearest Val%26#39;s just for thier pizza. My bro-in-law moved to Boston, and still asked for frozen Val%26#39;s pizza%26#39;s be sent to him for b-day presents.



One of my first phone calls when we moved back to Omaha was to the closest Valentino%26#39;s, asking them if we were in their delivery area, and if not, what I had to do to get into it!! (we were, they guy thought I was nuts!!)



Lisa




Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I appreciate the help. You%26#39;ve given me some great ideas.





Liz




I think all of these are good restaurants... I always tell people to try out Runza and Valentino%26#39;s... I don%26#39;t think you%26#39;ll have any problem finding good restaurants in Lincoln though. There is a website, Lincolntogo.com that lists most of the restaurants along with their menus... I would recommend checking that out before you make any decisions...




Thanks for that link! Very helpful.





Liz


  • makeup base
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment