Thursday, April 8, 2010

italian restaurant

I am looking for a Italian restaurant that my husband and I ate at when we were in Omaha about 11 yrs ago. I am back in the area and would love to visit it again. I don%26#39;t remember the name but I do remember that it is close to downtown and is on a corner. They had a very large collection of wines in the wine cellar. I hope someone knows what place I am looking for.


Thanks



italian restaurant


I cannot think of any Italian restaurants with a lower wine cellar downtown. The restaurant that comes to mind first is Vivace, but it is not on a corner and I don%26#39;t believe it%26#39;s 11 years old yet. Outside of downtown ���������������not super close, is a restaurant called Lo Sole Mio that has a downstairs area ���������������not sure if there is a wine cellar.



Recently, a well-established family restaurant called Caniglia%26#39;s closed in the downtown area ��������� which may have been the one you are remembering. There is also Malara%26#39;s, which is a casual family Itialian restaurant ���������������not very elegant. I don%26#39;t believe either of these had a wine cellar, though.



italian restaurant


There is a fabulous Italian restaurant on the corner downtown Omaha called Nicola%26#39;s but I also don%26#39;t believe it is 11 years old however has great food, wine selection and ambiance. This one will become your new favorite Italian in Omaha.




There was an Italian restaurant where Nicola%26#39;s is now. The owners just switched but the menu is still very similar. If you have anymore questions about Nicola%26#39;s, I worked there so I could help.




There is a wonderful italian resturant called Lo Solo Mio in Omaha. You should try it sometime!!




There used to be an Italian Restaurant on the corner of 39th and Leavenworth. I believe that%26#39;s the one you are speaking of. It would have been around 11 years ago, but ti%26#39;s out of business now.




We had a very poor experience on our last trip to Lo Solo Mio, we will never go back. I know the long time locals make a big deal out of it - probably because it was the only decent Italian in town for quite a while. But given its poor location and the availability of better food elsewhere in town why bother?





The old time places like some of the Canigilia family had are pretty poor if you have any idea about what good Italian food can be.





Vivace in the Old Market is a good choice as is Pasta Amore in Rockbrook and even the West Suburban chain joints like Biaggi%26#39;s are good - Vincenzo%26#39;s is a personal favorite on 144th near Blondo.




Nicola%26#39;s in the Market is a great authentic Italian restaurant. Another of my favorites is Carrabba%26#39;s on 144th and Maple. It is also an authentic Italian restaurant.




Spagetti Works is downtown (Old Market area) and is on a corner. Not sure how extensive their wine selection is, though.





Any details about the place you can remember? Large, small? Bright, dark?




I totally agree with Grayhorse. Lo Sole Mio is the best example of 1950%26#39;s Italian/American cusine I%26#39;ve ever seen. How they have any following at all is a mystery to me.





I paricularly love the servers. Some college kid who%26#39;s never been east of the Mississippi telling me how ';they do it in Italy'; is a hoot.





Omaha isn%26#39;t blessed with high quality Italian, but the best I%26#39;ve found is Spezia on 72nd between Center and I-80 for a night out and for simple ';side of the road'; fare try LaFata%26#39;s on 72nd between Blondo and Maple. It is a true family restaurant. Mom and Dad, who are from Sicily do the cooking and the the children along with Italian exchange students do most of the serving.




Lo Sole Mio is bad. We had a terrible experience there last year. Five ourt of our party became violently ill in the night. A call to the restauraunt the following Monday confirmed that one of the staff had returned to work that eve with the stomach flu. When I asked to have a manager call me back they denied this and refused to credit or charge card. Our weekend was cut short due to this debacle.

No comments:

Post a Comment