Thursday, April 1, 2010

dowtown churches?

I have another question for you - I%26#39;m staying at the Doubletree downtown next weekend with my husband while he attends a conference. He%26#39;ll be tied up on Sun. morning, and I wondered if there are any churches in the downtown area that I could walk to for a worship service on Sun. morning. I would prefer some place that uses a contemporary worship style and would tolerate casual clothes. We%26#39;re traveling by motorcycle (which I don%26#39;t drive), so I won%26#39;t have transportation, unless I take a shuttle or cab. Looking forward to visiting your city!



dowtown churches?


I have friends that go here - it might be what you are looking for: Core Community Church





They meet at the Omaha Community Playhouse , give them a call or drop an email I bet they could pick you up.





Sundays: 9:30am @ Omaha Playhouse - 69th + Underwood / Cass





Office: 1235 S 13th St, Omaha, NE 68108



email: coreomaha@cox.net



phone: 402.342.1701





Their website should give you a feel - very contemporary and casual.





http://www.corecommunity.org/







dowtown churches?


Interesting question.





All Omaha churches ';tolerate'; casual clothes (as far as I know).





Omaha is pretty hot in August, so if you walk more than 10 blocks you will be covered in sweat!





The ';East Side'; of Omaha is heavily Catholic and it also has many ';mainstream'; denominational churches. My guess is that most of the churches with contemporary worship will be west of 72nd street.





I have been to these churches:





www.trinityomaha.com (156th %26amp; Dodge Streets)



(Very seeker friendly, mega-church-ish, contemporary worship).





http://www.christcommunityomaha.org/





waypointomaha.com/http:/…



(the 11 a.m. service has excellent music. this is a conservateve Lutheran denomination that feels more like a non-denominational church)





http://www.ancomaha.org/



(new church that meets at Millard South High School, 147th and Q Streets, on Sundays at 10 a.m.)





http://www.waypointomaha.com/



(nice new church that meets in an elementary school gym! Get there early or you will be sitting on the wood floor! They meet at 10 a.m. and they%26#39;re located at 53rd and Hamilton which is probably the closest to the downtown area. They have many 20-somethings at this church.)




If you%26#39;d like something within walking distance of the Doubletree, then Kountze Memorial (ELCA Lutheran) might work for you.





It%26#39;s at 26th and Farnam, which would be about 14 or so blocks from the Doubletree.





They%26#39;ve just completed a renovation, and have some pretty neat stained glass windows.





www.kmlchurch.org/index.php…





Their website says that they have a 9:00 and 11:00 service that is a mix of traditional and contemporary.





It%26#39;s probably been 3 years since I%26#39;ve attended a service at this church, but I want to say it was more on the traditional side, with a somewhat older population that attends.





No problem with casual clothes.

No comments:

Post a Comment