Thursday, April 1, 2010

enjoyed my stay in Omaha!

Thanks to everyone for your advice about my stay in Omaha. We had a very nice visit and have a new appreciation for your city, from the little that we saw. We were there for 3 days for a conference at the Doubletree. I%26#39;ll post a review separately, but will say that we found the accomodations at the Doubletree very comfortable with an extremely friendly and helpful staff. The location was good too. I walked to the Old Market area several times and enjoyed browsing through the little shops with unique items that you don%26#39;t usually see in the chain stores or malls. I brought home a few fun souvenirs. I loved all the historical buildings. We ate at Upstream Brewing company and Famous Dave%26#39;s BBQ in the Old Market. Both had good food, and I%26#39;d recommend them if you%26#39;re in town. Upstream is in a really cool building, and the BBQ and sides at Famous Dave%26#39;s was especially tasty. We also had ice cream at Ted and Wally%26#39;s - wow, was it good! We also ate at Sullivan%26#39;s, which is near Old Market. It was probably our most disappointing meal. The food was good, but it was so expensive that I%26#39;m not sure it was worth it, as it didn%26#39;t seem that special, but like something we could get at any good steak place. There weren%26#39;t many options on the menu - I was not extremely hungry and wanted a small steak or light entree, and there just wasn%26#39;t anything on the menu for that. We got there about 15 minutes after they opened for dinner, but was told we%26#39;d have to wait at the bar because the dining room wasn%26#39;t ready, which was aggravating - we probably waited another 20 minutes, which ultimately made us late for our night event at the conference. The servers were very attentive to us though, and I guess it would be OK for a special occasion. I don%26#39;t think I%26#39;d go back there though.





As far as attractions, I did make it to the Joslyn Art Museum and had a wonderful afternoon browsing through the different areas. I wanted to see the exhibit on Denise Fleming%26#39;s art and papermaking process, because she%26#39;s one of my favorite children%26#39;s book illustrators, and that was really interesting. I loved the sculpture of the little ballerina dancer!





I also enjoyed walking through your sculpture park near the Doubletree with the frontier family scenes. The statue of the mother and baby was especially sweet, as I imagined that sturdy woman walking across the plains with the baby in her arms, looking for a new place to settle.





I found the downtown area very easy to navigate and felt safe everywhere I walked. Traffic seemed to be light, and people were friendly. The Gene Leahy park was nice, but some of the water was pretty dirty and had trash in it, so I didn%26#39;t stay there long.





I didn%26#39;t make it to the zoo, as everyone recommended, but will remember that for the next time I%26#39;m in your area. I would also like to come back and visit your Durham Museum - just not enough time to do everything! We ended up leaving a day early and weren%26#39;t there to attend a church service on Sun., but thanks so much for all the recommendations - again, maybe on my next visit.





I appreciate the TA advice - it helped us have a good visit in Omaha!



enjoyed my stay in Omaha!


Glad you had a nice visit and thank you for those comments on the eateries. I have to agree - if a place is going to charge you top dollar for a meal they better deliver premium service. There are too many restaurants that want to put up a nice building and charge high prices but forget ( or dont know ) what high end customer SERVICE is all about.


  • cosmetics company
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment